Sunday, October 25, 2015

Printing cocoon

I had a wild idea about an alien cocoon on a wall. I had an alien head and a bunch of wire. How about creating visual of an alien being, being printed like an android.Trying to form a body was ridiculous. A perfect solution would have been to have a balloonist make me an alien body that I could have wrapped all the wire around, then pop it when completed. Instead I had to find lots of random little things like candles and small boxes to create the same effect. This took two weekends to complete one wire body.
Meanwhile Erin showed me her strands of SMALL LED lights. The idea hit instantly. Enclose the cocoon with foam piping and tuck the LEDs inside.
The cocoon itself is made from syran wrap and packing tape. The mold I used was my bathtub. It worked great. 
The heart of the alien is made of orange neon tape. I wanted something to illuminate with the black lights that would fill the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment