Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Koi fish acrylic puzzle

This project started out as a wooden 3D puzzle that I had bought 5 years earlier, that I always wanted to do something with, but I knew I didn't have the tools yet, so I never opened it out of the box.

Until now..
I first scanned all 4 ply wood sheets into a scanner. I imported those into Corel Draw. It took two weeks to trace every single piece!
Some of the pieces I changed cause they looked better another way.

And a half hour of laser cutting time.
Once everything was cut I had to peel off the film on every piece both sides, and begin putting it together. I did not have instructions on how it went together, in total I was there for 7 hours.
After I finally put it together I decided I wanted different colored scales. I had neon orange and black. I estimated on how much and what size scales were needed.
It was starting to look like a real Koi
There wasn't many people in the Tech Shop that day, but all of them stopped to take photos of it and begged me to make them one. A tour went by and a woman stopped to talk to me. She said that could easily sell for $180.
If I attempted to mass produce this I don't know if I would ship it in parts for people to try to assemble themselves, or take hours to assemble it myself.
I took it home and couldn't wait to shine a light through it. Cooler than what I was hoping for!
I also put it by a Black Light. This photo doesn't do it justice, the neon orange looked soo much more amazing than this.
One day I'll make another



No comments:

Post a Comment